We encourage the work of young social welfare researchers as well as practitioners in social welfare.
Supports research using a psychosocial approach to help all ages to stay physically and mentally healthy.
Possible research topics:
- Clinical psychology
- Lifelong developmental psychology/Elderly psychology
- Developmental disorders
- Mood disorders
- Stress disorders
- Grief and loss
- Social rehabilitation
Supports practical research that seeks ways to help with social inclusion, research in fields where support systems have not yet been established, and research for solutions to social problems.
Possible research topics:
- Support for social minorities
- Support for the needy
- Social restoration
- Prevention of abuse
- Care-giving and nursing
- Support for disaster victims
- Support for foreign workers and foreign senior residents
- Support for education of foreigners
- School non-attendance
- Support for social withdrawal
Supports research and implementation of innovative approaches to social welfare systems and mechanisms to fit the need of future society.
Possible research topics:
- Coordination of medical care, nursing and care-giving;
- Community-friendly society;
- Regional disaster prevention;
- Support system for disaster time;
- Creating one's belonging place;
- Sustainable community development;
- Diverse ways of working;
- Nurturing the next generation
If the necessary changes of your research schedule would occur because of the spread of the COVID-19, we would correspond to it individually. Please carefully consider how to conduct the survey properly when you apply.
July 30, 2021 (All applications must be received by no later than 5:00 p.m. Japan time.)
- Be engaged in research activities at a university, research laboratory, research institution, educational organization, or be working in the social welfare field.
- Be enrolled in or graduated from a master’s/doctoral course, or hold equivalent degrees or qualifications.
(Applicants who are enrolled in a master’s course, or are in their first half of a doctoral course must have their advisor for applying. Advisor’s name should be listed in the research members list on page 8 of the application form. An advisor’s assistance is not required for applicants in their second half of a doctoral course.
- In order for more researchers to share the grant, those who have received it from the Univers Foundation in the past are not eligible.
Grant period is for one year, from November 2021 to October 2022.
The maximum amount of grant is 1,000,000 yen per grantee. Actual amount of grant shall be determined based on assessment of proposal, including contents and scale.
Please fill out the application and send it to our office.
(Applications can only be accepted by postal mail and courier services. Neither bringing it in to the foundation office, sending by email nor by fax will not be acceptable.)
In order to avoid lost mail, confirmation service is recommended.
Any submitted documents will not be returned. You are responsible for making your own copies.
- Application must be printed on single side and do not use staples.
- Regarding the applicant's guarantee form (page 8 of the application form), we will accept only the authorized signature of the immediate manager of your organization/section. Supervisor's signature shall not be acceptable.
- Application will not be accepted if the applicant and the authorized signatory of the organization is the same person.
- Please submit the application with the approval of your organization’s Ethics Committee. If you cannot apply to the Ethics Committee without the grant adoption, you can apply for the grant program with stating that you will obtain the approval later from the Ethics Committee. However, bank remittance of grant funds will be made after the approval is obtained. Therefore, please kindly be prepared in advance so that you can apply to the Ethics Committee immediately in due course.
- Granted funds will be remitted to your bank account which must be in the applicant’s name. We can arrange the remittance to your organization’s bank account only if they do not take an overhead fee or any indirect costs related to managing the funds.
- Please specify the countermeasures for the COVID-19 diseases (page 5-6 of the application form).
Grant should be used for Personnel Costs, Travel Expenses, Equipment, Commissioned Survey, Rental Fees, Meeting Expenses, Research Reference Literature, Printing Expenses, Correspondence Expenses, Supplies and Others.
- Please fill out the budget in detail along with the basis of estimate, after carefully reviewing the list below; <List of Expense Items>; <Example of 3.1 Breakdown List for page 2 of the application form.>
You are not allowed to change any expenditure budget after your research project is selected.
- You are required to submit all receipts of the expenses or billing statement to the Foundation with the final report.
List of Expense Items
|1. Personnel Costs||Compensation for the researcher cooperation outside of the party, and adjunct worker including documents rearranging and data counting.|
*DO NOT include wage to the applicant and research group members.
|2. Travel Expenses||Domestic and international travel expenses, activity costs, accommodation costs, meals, transportation and insurance fee. |
*DO NOT include travel expenses for attending at a society, a lecture class and other meetings for presenting the research result.
|3. Equipment||Equipment necessary for the study that cost more than 100,000 yen. |
*DO NOT include personal computers, tablets and monitors for usage of general purpose.
|4. Commissioned Survey||Expenses of the outsourcing research and questionnaire survey and data analysis.|
|5. Rental Fees||Fees to rental facilities, equipment, computers and other devices.|
|6. Meeting Expenses||Expenses related to renting a room, food, snacks and beverage. |
*DO NOT include expenses for hosting a conference and a symposium for the purpose of presenting the research result.
|7. Research Reference Literature||Expenses for buying such materials as books, papers, etc.|
|8. Printing Expenses||Cost of printing survey sheets and photocopying materials. |
*DO NOT include the cost of printing paper, report nor booklets of the research result.
|9. Correspondence Expenses||Communication cost, postal mail and delivery fees.|
|10. Supplies||Stationary supplies, supplies related to the COVID-19 countermeasures and other equipment less than 100,000 yen.|
|11. Others||Expenses for translation and other costs which you can’t find the above items.|
*DO NOT include any overhead costs by your research institution or organization, entrance fee to attend at a society or a lecture class, article processing charge of Research Result Paper and costs for Ethical review.
Example of 3.1. Breakdown List for page 2 of the application form
Grantees will be selected by our selection committee and be approved by the Board of Directors. The results will be notified to each applicant. Foundation will also officially announce the title of the grant-awarded research projects. Foundation will not reply to any inquiries regarding the screening process, reasons for the selection, nor application reviews.
November 1, 2021
(Bank remittance of grant funds will be completed by late November)
- Those who receive a Univers research grant must submit a report on research result, by March 31, 2023 after the grant period is over. Detailed information will be sent later. Submitted research report will be published in the “Univers Foundation Research Grant Bulletin.”
- When the research result is to be announced publicly, grantee must submit a copy to the Foundation. Notation of “research funded by the Univers Foundation” shall be described in a research publication.
- To best fulfill the completion of the grant, we will contact you for a follow-up survey 3-5 years after completion of the grant period. We would like an update on the reporting, publication, or presentation of your research results, as well as the development or possibility of a new or related study.
- Personal Information received on applicants shall be only used for screening procedures such as selecting grantees and mailing application-results letter.
- The Univers Foundation will officially announce grantees’ names, his/her position, organization, the title of research project and contents of researches to the public and academic information database.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding our grant program.